Monday, November 23, 2015

The 80 Year Marketing Donut

Yesterday I visited my grandmother.  She is 98 years old.  Whip smart and a true pleasure to converse with.  She is hard of hearing and I prefer it when she tells a story because it makes the conversation flow easier and is more relaxing for me.  Well, a gem of a story fell from her lips.  It is a piece of my family history.  It is a small piece of our United States history.  It is a marketing story.  It is a story of thankfulness.  I would like to share it with you.

Written in her voice as best as my memory serves me: (told sitting on her couch in her apartment)

The woman down the hall died about a month ago and her family has been moving her stuff out and cleaning ever since.  There must have been many things to go through.  She had nice things.  Her furniture was beautiful.  Her children called the Salvation Army to pick up her furniture.  Someone will find some really nice furniture.  I am glad the Salvation Army was the one who came.

When your grandfather landed on Normandy Beach on D-Day and spent the day fighting and climbing and burying his friends in a large trench by carrying the bodies across the beach (pause). . . that was a hard day. (pause)  He worked a very long day.  When he was finished, the Salvation Army was giving free donuts and coffee away.  The "unnamed service organization" was also there and they were charging for donuts.  I never give money to them.  

I like what the Salvation Army does.  I like the bell ringing they do.  I always donate to them and have since the war and put money in their kettles.  I am sure that furniture will find a good home.

Yes, this was a short story.  I sat in silence for a bit.  Running through my mind was the fact that my grandfather lived through a day where a free donut was the best thing that happened.  That was a terrible day for so many.  Also, that may have been the most expensive donut ever handed to a person based on the fact that it has generated over 80 years of annual giving.  As a company that sells give away items for many throughout the year, it is a reminder that the way an item is given is as important as the item sometimes.  The way we all present our brand matters.

My grandmother has each holiday season had a red flower with the Salvation Army on a ribbon attached to her purse.  I did not know that that small red flower reminded her of her husband, of my grandfather.  I did not know that it was because of a donut.  And it was because my grandfather on perhaps the worst day of his life, got to sit down for 10 minutes of peace and enjoy a treat instead of fighting for peace.

This thanksgiving, may you find peace.  May you revel in something small and may you appreciate in thankfulness the time you have to enjoy.  May we all remember those that suffer. And may we provide small acts of kindness for we never know how long or important the impact may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment