Monday, June 24, 2013

Sometimes simple is better

I often think about my messaging when producing an item.  Does it make sense right away?  Does what I say make the person who is reading it more interested? 

This weekend on the way to a fishing pond, I passed this sign.
I wasn't prepared for a marketing lesson in the middle of my day off so this photo was taken with a phone.  It says "SALE GUYS STUFF" with an arrow.  Yup, Guys Stuff.  What is guys stuff?  I am significantly intrigued.  My mind is wondering, will I find fishing lures, jock straps, engines, cars, moustache grooming devices? 

On the way to the Guy Stuff Sale, I passed a house.  There was a sign in front of the house, it said "Not Here".  I was on the right track.  The next house had a sign that said "HERE".  I was at the secret GUY STUFF SALE!!!!!!  Go me!

There was a mean dog.  I figured this is ok.  Because guys who sell guy stuff should have intimidating dogs.  The first thing my eye settled on was a table with china on it.  Well, gosh, my illusions were shattered.  There was an antique dresser, a german clock, some cool dental chairs and an engine!  Yes, the GUY STUFF

I left the small sale laughing.  While I did not find a much sought after item, I loved that the message on the simple signs sucked me in.  What a brilliant move for a truly terrible sale! 

Sure, the rest of us in business should follow up our message with an actual product, but once in a while in marketing, we can take a moment and appreciate the little things.  And really, our messaging choices are never a little thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment